Golubac fortress / distance from Villa 11 km / is located on the territory of the National Park Iron Gate, on the right bank of the Danube, 4 km downstream from the present town Golubac. Since 1948 it is under the protection of the Institute for Protection of Cultural Monuments and by the categorization of immovable cultural property from 1979 it was declared a cultural monument of great importance.
Fort is located on the high peaks on the place where the river narrows at the entrance to the Iron Gate. It was built in a fan shape and consists of three parts: the front, rear and upper city (the citadel), making a total of 10 towers and two large school gates. In front of the fortress was a civil settlement, of which today only some partially explored objects remain.
Golubac had a turbulent history. During the Middle Ages, many battles were fought around it, especially between the Ottoman Empire and the Kingdom of Hungary. Since 1867, it was handed over to Serbian Prince Mihailo Obrenovic. In modern times Golubac is a popular tourist attraction on the Danube. In 2012 the project of revitalization of the fortress was started. Within the project, a bypass tunnel, visitors' center and the complex around the fortress for the purposes of visitors were built . The complete revitalization of the fortress is expected by the end of 2017. In March 2017 these facilities were put into operation: the complex for visitors with facilities Archaeological Park, Turkish Bath - Hamam XV century, the Roman house III century AD, Visitor's Center, Info desk, gift shop, cafeteria, parking.
May - August 9a.m. to 7 p.m.
September 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
*** On Mondays – closed
*** Note: Parking fees apply
Sources: Wikipedia, Tvrdjavagolubackigrad.rs
More info: www.tvrdjavagolubackigrad.rs